FALL 2005 WORKSHOPS
PHI 105: Health Care Ethics.
Break into pairs. Take turns listening to each other for two minutes
each, responding to the following prompt:
“One memorable experience I had with the health care system…”
Then, write one page in which you:
- Choose one incident involving the health care system that you find raises
- Describe the situation in detail.
- Identify what you see as the main ethical issue. Write it in the
form of a question.
Rethinking your Experience with the Health Care System
On the first day of this course, you wrote one page describing an experience
you had with the health care system. Reread what you wrote and answer
the following questions.
- What do you appreciate about your own writing style?
- Given what you’ve learned in this course, identify what you NOW see
as the key ethical issue(s). Write it in the form of a question, like
your paper topic.
- What are some questions that must be answered in order to
resolve this problem? (These could be questions of fact, or ethical
- Imagine that you are listening to a group of people discussing
this case. Give
at least two conflicting perspectives that might be expressed.
- Make one objection
to each of the perspectives you identified in Question 4.
- Suggest some ways
in which the health care system could be changed in order to make sure that
this kind of problem won’t arise in the future.
- What do you notice about
the way your thinking about health care ethics has changed since the beginning
of this course?