History of the International Drug Information Center
The International Drug Information Center (IDIC) was established in 1973 as the Brookdale Inter-Regional Pharmaceutic and Therapeutic Drug Information Center at what was then the Brooklyn College of Pharmacy. The Center’s establishment was made possible due to the generous contribution of noted philanthropists Arnold & Marie Schwartz. At the time, the main focus of the Center was to provide health professionals access to accurate, unbiased drug information, since such information was not readily available. Early resources utilized included standard reference books and specialized texts (e.g. foreign drug compendia), print journals, the College’s library, and an in-house cataloging system whereby journal articles were torn and filed according to selected key words. These resources were eventually complemented with commercial drug information systems such as the deHAEN Drugs in Use system and Iowa Drug Information Service, and the ensuing availability of electronic databases, e.g. MEDLINE and Micromedex Healthcare Series.
In 1976, the Center relocated to within the new complex established for the College on the Brooklyn Campus of Long Island University. Shortly thereafter, the Center changed its name to the current name. To comply with the College’s mission and goals, an expansion of physical facilities was needed. In 1995, the IDIC moved to its current location within the Zeckendorf Health Sciences Center. With the evolution of the entry-level Doctor of Pharmacy program, the mission of the IDIC shifted to emphasize education, although service and research continued to be integral goals of the center. Today the IDIC encompasses an 1800 sq. foot area which includes a twelve-station computer lab, a conference center, a comprehensive library of print resources and four offices.