Office of Student Development & Retention

  • Ask An Advisor
  • Registrar

  • Can I take courses at other colleges and transfer them to LIU- Brooklyn?

    Yes, but only if prior approval has been granted from the appropriate LIU dean. Students interested in taking courses at another institution should consult their academic advisor to obtain a copy of the “Courses at Another Institution” policy. Additionally, students will need to file an Application to Take Courses at Another Institution with the Registrar.
  • I tried to register, but I have a hold on my account. How can I get this removed?

    You would need to visit the appropriate department to assist you with your situation. Review the blocks, bars & holds sheet to determine which department you would need to see. If you are unsure if you have a hold or know the type of hold, see your counselor for assistance.  
  • Testing

  • Can I take the English and Math placement test more than once?

    Yes, students can retake the English and Math placement tests only if they are not satisfied with their initial placement scores. A student can retest up to two more times prior to taking the course. Once a student has started an English or Math course, they cannot take the Math or English placement tests again.  
  • Counseling

  • If I come to the OSD and my counselor is not available, can I still be helped?

    Definitely, every counselor is willing and capable to assist you with all of your questions whenever you come in or call our office.

  • How do I add/drop/withdraw from a course?

    Provided there are no blocks/holds on the student’s account, students can now change their course schedule freely through the first week of classes via their MyLIU account. You can add a course within the first week of classes; however you must visit the OSD if you want to add a course after the first week of classes has passed. Speak to your counselor regarding this if you are interested. Dropping or withdrawing can be done within the specified deadline date. Your Student Development Counselor will assist you with completing the paperwork needed to change your schedule following the first week of classes.
  • I think I have transfer credits, will LIU accept them?

    The best department to assist you is Admissions. You should speak with an admissions counselor regarding your transfer credits. They will determine which courses transfer and which will not. If possible, try to provide them with the course description from your previous college to assist them in the decision making process.  

  • I may need to take the semester off. Will this affect my academic standing at LIU?

    Yes. Students who take a semester or more off from LIU will need to be readmitted to the University via the Admissions Office before being allowed to register for classes. Students who leave the university, for any reason, risk losing their seat in their originally designated major. For example, a student who was originally accepted as a Pharmacy major may not necessarily be readmitted as a Pharmacy major. For this reason, it is recommended that students seek an approved leave of absence in writing from the dean of their school before taking a semester or more off.

  • When do I have to declare a major?

    Students should generally declare a major once they have earned 24 credits and have met the GPA requirement for that major. A student can change his or her major as their academic interests change, as long as they meet the department's criteria. Pharmacy, Nursing and Health Science students must complete their pre-professional requirements before starting their respective major's professional phase.
  • Academic

  • How do I change my major?

    Stop by our office to meet with your counselor to fill out a Change of Major form. You would then need to take that form to the department in which you want to major in to obtain the department Chair's signature for approval. Once that is done submit the form to the Registrar's office and the process would be complete.
  • If I am not a PH major, how can I get into the program?

    Students who are not admitted to LIU as Pharmacy majors are still able to apply to the Pharmacy program. Applications, which are typically due in early January, are reviewed once per year. In order to apply, students must have completed or be in the process of completing all pre-Pharmacy requirements by the time the application is due to the Pharmacy department. It is important for students to know that admission into the Pharmacy program is extremely competitive. Students are encouraged to consult with their student development counselor before pursuing this program and filing an application.
  • Misc

  • I am having trouble with one or more of my courses. How can I find a tutor?

    Long Island University offers tutoring in many subjects through the Academic Reinforcement Center (located in Pratt 110). Students can also get specific assistance to improve their writing skills at the Writing Center in room 218C of the Humanities Building and help with Math at the Mathematics Center in room 1105 of the Metcalfe Building. LIU's Language Lab in Pratt 614 offers assistance to students in a variety of foreign languages.


  • How can I find out who is teaching a course?

    Typically, academic departments do not release the names of professors teaching particular sections of a course until the week before the semester begins. Directly before the semester begins, students can check the “Course Offerings” link online (see the Office of the Registrar's webpage), or visit either the Registrar's Office or the appropriate academic department to determine what professors have been assigned courses. Student Development Counselors only have access to teaching assignments once the academic departments have released this information to the Registrar's Office, and then only after the Registrar's Office has released this information electronically.