Dance Auditions for entrance into the program on the Brooklyn campus for Fall 2013:
February 9, 2013 and May 11, 2013
Due to the incoming storm, the Saturday, February 9th audition has been rescheduled to Saturday, February 23rd. Sorry for any inconvenience. If this date does not work for you please contact either Danielle Mebert, firstname.lastname@example.org or Mary Ann Wall, email@example.com, to make other arrangements.
Students wishing to pursue Dance as a major at LIU Brooklyn must meet the academic requirements set by the Office of Admissions and audition for the dance department faculty.
Auditions are held at the Brooklyn campus in the fall and spring. For those students who live outside the New York City area for whom traveling to campus may be a burden, please contact the Assistant Director of Recruitment and Outreach for more information regarding videotape audition requirements: 718-488-1084. The Faculty strongly encourages all dance applicants to audition in person.
BEFORE THE AUDITION
- You must complete the official University application prior to audition. Please do this online at: www.brooklyn.liu.edu/apply a minimum of 4 weeks before your audition date.
- Official transcripts from all high schools and colleges attended must be sent to the Office of Admissions. Please do this immediately after submitting your application and send to:
Office Of Admission
1 University Plaza
Brooklyn NY, 11201
- SAT Scores are not required for admissions but we highly recommend you submit your official scores to the Office of Admissions to be considered for university academic scholarships. We do not recommend you take the ACT exam in lieu of the SAT.
- A Dance Department Application is required and must be returned to the Dance Department prior to your audition date. Do not send the dance department application to Admissions.
Please download and print the Dance Department Audition Reservation form (Word).
Use blue or blank ink or type in the required fields and return to the dance department:
Dana Hash-Campbell, Chair
Dance Department H-404
1 University Plaza
Brooklyn, NY 11201-5371
AT THE AUDITION
The audition will consist of the following 4 parts:
- Ballet Barre
- Modern Technique Class
- 2 Minute Individual Performances (original)
- Individual Interviews
Students who the faculty feels are not sufficiently prepared for the Dance programs may be excused from the audition prior to completion of all 4 parts.
AFTER THE AUDITION
You will receive a letter from the Dance Department regarding the results of your audition within four weeks of your audition date.
Please note that official acceptance to the University is determined by the Office of Admissions and is based on your academic record and the recommendation of the dance faculty. You should receive an official letter from the Office of Admissions within six weeks of your audition date. If you do not receive an official letter from Admissions within 6 weeks of your audition date, please contact the Assistant Director of Recruitment and Outreach at 718-488-1084.
If you decide to join the Dance Department as an incoming student, you must take a placement exam prior to registration (unless you have college credit in English and Math). For more information regarding testing and exemptions, please visit http://liu.edu/Brooklyn/Academics/Centers/Testing-Center.aspx.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have a summer program for High School Students?
At this time, we do not have a summer program.
Is there on-campus housing?
There are residential facilities for freshmen and transfer students. Please visit Residence Life and Housing for more information: http://www.liu.edu/Brooklyn/StudentLife/ResLife.aspx.
- I have no experience dancing but I am very interested in being a dance major. Is there a way to wave the audition?
No. You must audition. For students interested in dance but with limited experience, we recommend you choose a different major and take introductory dance classes. You may choose to minor in dance.
- I'm torn between Dance and another major. Is it possible to double major?
It is possible to double major as a B.S. in Dance student. Students in the B.F.A. program are encouraged not to attempt a double major.
I'd like to visit the school before I audition. How do I arrange a tour?
Please contact the Assistant Director of Recruitment and Outreach at 718-488-1084.